Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Lunch Time

This week I wanted to cook from our family cookbook every night.  Two years ago my Mother-in-law gave us a great gift of recipes in a family cookbook.  She used a great website called TasteBook where you can add to a cookbook from recipes on the site, or add your own family favorites.  I love ours because we can make her special meals even when she is all the way in Michigan.  Although, I never claim they are as good, because it's always better when Mom makes you something with love! 

Todd, Me, & Linda (aka Mom)

I wanted to share a few of the meals we are making out of Mom's cookbook because they are amazing, creative, & beautiful... just like her, go figure!

Last night I made Kale-Quinoa Salad.  Now, Todd introduced me to Qunioa (sounds like KEEN-WA) a few years ago.  I was skeptical, but seriously this stuff is better than rice and WAY healthier.


Don't be scared fellow junk food lovers!  This is one healthy salad that this mac & cheese craving, meatloaf loving, and brownie scarfing girl can really get down for.  And it's insanely simple to make.


You will need...

Kale, one large bunch, finely chopped
Quinoa, 1 cup (1 cup quinoa cooked in 2 cups of water)
Dried cranberries (*really ties the room together, man.*)
Almonds, finely chopped
Olive oil, drizzled all over ingredients
Lemon juice, drizzled over all ingredients


Combine first 4 ingredients, add olive oil and lemon juice sparingly (to taste).
Store in covered container in the fridge.  Better when sits over night... but we ate it straight away and it was perfect!  We had this with turkey wraps and left over pumpkin soup from the night before...I'll post that recipe, too.  It's my hubs favorite thing of all time...except for his little beeb, Simone!


ENJOY!

4 comments:

  1. yumm! I need to make a cookbook of all my recipes. im slowly getting things together, but i seem to have no time line on getting it done.
    -m

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should totally try TasteBook! The great thing is you can start your cook book now, and put in the recipes that you have gathered. They will send your book... and down the road you can add more and they just send you the pages to insert into the book! :) It's really awesome. I felt like it was such a great gift for us to be able to make the dishes that Todd grew up with. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found you on MBC and enjoy your blog. I hated quinoa when I first tried it and now I love it too. I will try this recipe for sure! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Shawna!! I've done some experimenting with quinoa lately, so I'll be sharing more of those recipes! Thanks for reading! xo

    ReplyDelete