Thursday, May 30, 2013

Swimming with Dolphins

There are many cool things that happened in our world before I started Simone Diaries.  I realized after writing the post about our wedding that I should share more of those past events.

One of the most exhilarating experiences of my life was when Todd & I swam with dolphins.  We did this in Key Largo, FL while driving down the Keys from Miami on our way to get married.  It was a dream of mine since I was a little girl, and Todd wanted to make it happen as a wedding gift to me.  Checking one item off of the bucket list!  Whoo!

The package that we got also included a morning of snorkeling on a reef.  So we started off early in the day by jumping on a boat called the Sundiver.  It was a perfect day for being out on the water, warm with a gentle breeze.


They take you way the heck out over a beautiful coral reef where there are tons of fish.  The water there is really warm (especially in the summer), so you can just wear a swim suit and be fine.  The Key's also have some of the bluest waters around.  Even compared to our honeymoon in Turks & Caicos. 


Between snorkeling locations.  Is it weird that I'm far more scared of snorkeling than scuba?  Something about being on the surface flopping about... like an injured fish, just gets to me!



We got to Theater of the Sea where we would actually be swimming with the dolphins.  This place is amazing... they have different shows you can watch, tours to take, fish, turtles, cats (yes, CATS EVERYWHERE....so odd), sharks, etc.  It's a sanctuary for so many types of animals.  You can swim with sting rays or sea lions here as well.  


Before our start time we had plenty of time to explore the whole place.  



One of the coolest things was where you could wade with a bunch of parrot fish.  I was a little nervous at first, because they have little beaks and will nip at you.  You can take fishy food into the water with you and they swarm!  





Finally, it was time for the good stuff aka my dreams coming true!!  After learning about how to "be" in water with the dolphins we got our chance to touch them.  


They are really sweet, and extremely smart.  They knew exactly what they were doing.  We got to choose what we wanted to do with them, and I think far & away my favorite was "dolphin surfing" where you lay on their belly.

Here's a few of our favorite pictures...




What's really adorable...when they kiss you, or you are hugging them...they make sweet little noises and nuzzle you back.  I was in love.









 It was such a great experience.  One that I'm glad I had with Todd just days before our wedding.  It was a perfect day.  I'm so grateful to have had the chance to do it, and I can't wait to take Simone someday!  



No comments:

Post a Comment